Homeless Services

The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act

The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act requires that all schools provide homeless students with immediate access to education, even if the child lacks school records, a birth certificate, medical/immunizations documents, or proof of residency. The Haysville Public Schools has a strong commitment to ensure that all homeless children and youth receive a meaningful opportunity to enroll and attend all public schools in the district. The Haysville Public Schools Support Services Office acts as a resource for families in need and school personnel facing questions or assistance related to homeless children and youth. If you would like more information about the Support Services in Haysville contact program director, Linda Long.

Under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act a student is considered homeless if he or she has lost housing and is presently:

  • living in a shelter
  • living in a hotel, motel, or a campground due to lack of housing
  • sharing housing with relatives or others due to a lack of housing
  • living at a train or bus station, in a park, or in a car
  • living in an abandoned building
  • youth not living with parent or guardian
  • in other situations that are not fixed, regular, or adequate for nighttime residence.


Homeless students have right to:

  • Go to school, no matter where they live or how long they have lived there. They must be given access to the same public education, including preschool education, provided to other children.
  • Continue in the school they attended before becoming homeless or the school they last attended, if that is your choice and is feasible. If a school sends a homeless child to a school other than the one requested, the school must provide a written explanation and offer the right to appeal the decision.
  • Receive transportation to the school they attended before the family became homeless or the school they last attended, if requesting such transportation.
  • Attend a school and participate in school programs with children who are not homeless. Children cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.
  • Enroll in school without giving permanent address. Schools cannot require proof of residency that might prevent or delay school enrollment.
  • Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.
  • Enroll and attend classes in the school of their choice even while the school they are seeking to attend resolves a dispute over the enrollment.
  • Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children served in these programs.
  • Receive transportation to school and to school programs.

Quick Links


Contact Us


Linda Long

Support/Homeless Services Coordinator & Foster Care Liaison
Tel: 316-554-2200
email: llong@usd261.com

1745 W. Grand
Haysville, KS 67060


Maureen Ruhlman

Kansas State Coordinator
Tel: 785-296-1101
Fax: 785-296-5867
email: mruhlman@ksde.com


National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth

Community Resources

Program Description Phone
St. Anthony Family Homeless Shelter Housing 316-264-7233
American Red Cross Rent/Utility Assistance 316-219-4070
Harbor House Domestic Violence Shelter 316-263-6000
Salvation Army Homeless Services 316-263-2196
YWCA Women's Crisis Center 316-267-7233
Center of Hope Rent/Utility Assistance 316-267-0222
Haysville Community Outreach Food Assistance 316-524-6302
Haysville Senior Center Food Assistance 316-529-5903
Mother Mary Ann Clinic Low Cost Medical Care 316-689-5121
Grace Med Dental Clinic Low Cost Dental Care 316-866-2020
Haysville Restore Clothing Assistance 316-524-4254
United Way Assistance Dial 211

For referral to other services call:
Linda Long