The single best way to prevent the flu is to use good health habits like covering your cough and washing your hands often which can help stop the spread of germs and prevent respiratory illnesses. A flu shot and flu antiviral drugs can be used to treat and prevent the flu. Most important, remember to:
- Avoid close contact with people who are ill, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting ill too.
- Stay home from work, school, and running errands when you are ill, after your fever breaks and when feeling better, stay home for another 24 hours without taking fever reducing medication before returning.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or forearm at the elbow when coughing or sneezing.
- Washing your hands often and cleaning your work station or desk often will help protect you from germs.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth because germs often spread this way.
- Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.