Who is eligible to be tested?
- Students/Staff/Family Members who are close contacts, ill, or would like to be tested.
How do I sign up for a test?
- The permission form can be completed online by clicking HERE or one of the waiver buttons above. For students, a parent or guardian must fill out the form. The form can be filled out at any time. Parents/guardians will be notified before a test is performed.
What type of tests are provided?
- The Binax-NOW COVID-19 Ag test is a rapid test that provides results within 15 minutes. This test detects protein fragments specific to the Coronavirus.
- The Yale SalivaDirect test is a PCR test and will provide results in approximately 36 hours. This test detects RNA (or genetic material) that is specific to the virus and can detect the virus within days of infection, even those who have no symptoms.
How are the tests performed?
- For rapid testing, a cotton swab is inserted into each nostril at a depth of less than 1 inch. The swab is then rotated to obtain a sample from each nostril.
- For the PCR test, a saliva sample is collected.
What happens if the rapid test or PCR test is positive?
- If the test is positive, a 10-day isolation period is required. During this time the student/staff member should say home and away from others. This may be extended if symptoms have not improved. Symptoms must also be improved for 3 days prior to return to school or work. All household members will also need to go home in order to quarantine.
What happens if the rapid test is negative?
- If the rapid test is negative, a PCR test will used. If the PCR test is negative, the student or staff member may be able to return to work or school. Some symptoms will require the student or staff member to stay home until they improve.
What if I give permission and my student does not want to be tested?
- We will not force any student to be tested. If the student is not willing to be tested, a test will not be performed.